Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A New Acquaintance of Thy Mind: Day 5

Had I but known our moments would be brief,
That deathless joy will soonest end in woe,
Mayhap it had some fraction eas'd my grief
To say, my love, I never lov'd thee so.
Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,
And thou art yet more ardent than that blaze;
Hadst thou been made a sprite of gentler climes,
I might have dared to love thee all my days.
But thou art glory as thou art a scourge:
Too low to curse, too high for mortal praise;-
Thou art the paean and thou art the dirge,
And who shall dare to meet thy fulgent gaze?
Had I but known,- I would have lov'd thee still:
Mine is my heart, but thou hast own'd my will.

Also (as a respite from the endless iambs):

I never want to see anyone, and I never want to go anywhere or do anything. I just want to write.
-P.G. Wodehouse

He certainly had a way with it.

1 comment:

juggi said...

he sure did...i have never seen that quote before..i think this was the best so far!