Saturday, April 11, 2009

A New Acquaintance of Thy Mind: Day 1

Fourteen days. Fourteen lines. Fourteen sonnets. (And, I hope, Shakespeare's pardon for making merry with his work in this fashion. I promise to play with only XVIII.)

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day,
Or to the fairest morn of balmy spring?
Or, churlish out of season, shall I say
Thine not the beauty whereof I must sing?
Could I but say, and own it not a lie,
Could I but honour other names than thine,-
But what avail me though I shall deny?
Thine is my verse; naught save my will is mine.
The bloom is fading from the summer's face,
And hoar shall sweep the laurels from her brow,
But thou - no years shall mar thy sweetest grace;
Thou, kept in this, canst never alter now.
Though fading springs and passing suns shall seek,
None now shall steal the splendour from thy cheek.

No comments: